Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Abstract enjoyment from a soccer tosser

Why do I like this picture?

When I shoot soccer games, my goal is usually to catch players at moments of peak action while they are facing more or less in my direction. I want the faces to be clearly visible. Those are the "keepers" (in photographic terms, not goal keepers). Shots that only show the backs of players are generally "tossers". During breaks in the action, I'll turn my attention to getting candid portraits, bits of humorous goings on, and so forth. Every once in a while, I'll get a serendipitous composition that interests me for reasons other than athleticism or emotion. The one I'm about to show you may look as if it had little to do with organized soccer, aside from the uniforms, and it certainly doesn't look like a typical action shot.

Well, this was in fact shot during a recent game, and though the compressed perspective (telephoto lens) makes it appear that they are romping off into the rough, the ball is actually still within bounds on the level field. The girls are attempting to "save" it before it crosses the chalk line. I followed the action because I knew there was a chance there would be a stop and pivot right near the line. That didn't happen, but this photo resulted.

What I enjoy about the picture is a mix of a few somewhat abstract factors. Because of what we know about human locomotion, there's a clear sense of movement away from the viewer, toward the path. The path, through its curve, the perspective of narrowing and increasing blur with distance "catches" the movement directly into the frame and guides it up and to the right. I also like the placement of objects - the little tree neatly framed by the players, the path in the "right place", one player's arm to the left, one to the right. I even like the types of textures in different areas of the unkempt grass.

It might be meaningless to most folks, but as I said, I like it. And yes, even though they are actually on the field, I love the look of a spur of the moment game wandering casually off toward the pathway home.


Permalink: http://jilcp.blogspot.com/2013/09/abstract-enjoyment-from-soccer-tosser.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may comment anonymously if you wish. Comments are moderated. Spam will be blocked or removed.