Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Convey the message with one image

Here's a photo from the close of a Durham Symphony Orchestra holiday pops concert, Dec. 6, 2013 at the Durham Armory. This is not a typical venue for a symphony concert, but there was lots of flat-floor space, with tables set up so that groups of people could enjoy tasty, festive comestibles and potables while enjoying the music and fun.

Because I was at the same level as the audience, when they rose for a standing ovation, I overcame my usual reserve and engaged my inner chutzpah. That is, I stood on a chair (an unstable plastic one at that) and shot over their heads. It was worth it to catch this moment. That is of course William Henry Curry, Music Director of the Durham Symphony.


I shot a lot of photos that evening, and of course good coverage of any event requires this. A photo essay would almost by definition include multiple images. Still, for me there's a fascination with the elusive goal of creating one image that tells enough of an interesting story that it stands on its own.

Permalink: http://jilcp.blogspot.com/2013/12/convey-message-with-one-image.html

1 comment:

  1. That is a great shot of Bill, Jess. It is him at his most charming best!
    Ken

    ReplyDelete

You may comment anonymously if you wish. Comments are moderated. Spam will be blocked or removed.