Sunday, July 29, 2012

stalking the familiar


A common bit of advice about attempting to photograph birds is to start with common birds. Go after the ones you see often where you live. I think this is a good idea, especially for those of us who don't often get to spend time wandering through nature preserves, camping in the wilds, or sitting in bird blinds. Even a visit to the Zoo aviary is an unusual treat. I don't know if I'll ever be able to do the kind of amazing bird photography that is done by people dedicated to that craft, but I've learned a lot of patience simply by observing avian residents of the city. Watching their behavior is the first step toward capturing some of the interesting moments in a photo. A juvenile cardinal found some seed on the ground, and offered me a variety of poses, almost the way a good human model would do.

This juvenile cardinal spotted me, and hesitated to come out in the open.

In time, she (?) decided it was worth the risk to grab a seed she'd spotted.

She flew, but only a short distance, and returned quickly.

"OK, I'm back. Do you really expect me to pose? What position would you like?"

"How about a classic three quarter view? Don't I look great with food in my beak?"
Jess Isaiah Levin
www.classicalphotography.com
Permalink: http://jilcp.blogspot.com/2012/07/hunting-familiar.html
www.jilcp.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may comment anonymously if you wish. Comments are moderated. Spam will be blocked or removed.