Wednesday, October 30, 2013

North Carolina State Fair 2013

The North Carolina State Fair this year was marred by a tragic accident October 24 that seriously injured five people. Still, roughly a million people attended between October 17 and 27. I shoehorned two visits into my busy schedule. The first was the evening of October 20, when I met with a group of professional photographers, all members of the Photographic Society of the Triangle. I hoped to create some photos that would be a little off the beaten track. So of course my first shot was from the railing of the heavily travelled path into the Fair from Gate 8. Tens of thousands of people walked by this scene each of the eleven nights of the event.


After we PST members met at the waterfall, we more or less wandered around together, trying to inspire one another, or at least amusing each other. Here is Dannie Daniel lining up a shot, while being watched from behind by a severely painted lady.


As usual, I wandered off on my own at times, listening for the beat of a different drummer, who was hard to hear over the roar of the midway barkers.

I created two images that evening that I think have some individuality.

The moon was two days past full, but still made a dramatic addition to this view through a Ferris wheel and another ride.


I tried to add a note of mild humor to the fireworks by juxtaposing two signs that seemed like commentary.


On a second, even briefer, daytime trip to the fair I perused the horticultural exhibits, allowing myself to be distracted by bees, fallen leaves, detritus and rides.









Permalink: http://jilcp.blogspot.com/2013/10/north-carolina-state-fair-2013.html

7 comments:

  1. Nice photos; reminds me of my younger days at the Ingham County Fair in Mason, MI. As I'm wont to do, I can't resist saying that a person who marches to the beat of a different drummer, may just be a weirdo. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But really, I'm just an ordinary, regular guy, right…right?
      So I'd like to see some photos from your younger days - Daguerrotypes or new-fangled wet plate process?
      (All in good fun, I know you're not even quite as old as I am!)

      Delete
  2. Idyllic photos, Jess. You keep right on marching as you see fit. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess, I love the night photos, especially 1,3, and 4. It is hard to pick a favorite, as each is so strong. There must be contest material there! What a wonderful eye you have!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken, my own favorites are 3, 4, and 1, probably in that order. I appreciate the praise, and will try to retain something of a self-critical attitude so that I can continue to improve.

      Delete

You may comment anonymously if you wish. Comments are moderated. Spam will be blocked or removed.