Monday, January 27, 2014

From the other side of the pond (more from Yates Mill)

Yesterday, when I said the sky was blank facing north or east to photograph the old Yates Mill, I should have clarified that I meant when I began shooting. Toward the end of the afternoon, actually just before sunset, the northern sky developed a mix of stratus clouds that added some interest to my composition. It was apparent that there were winds aloft, while amazingly the air was completely still at ground level, as you would guess from the motionless water in this image.

[TS-E 17mm f/4L]

Back at the mill, here's a detail of the frozen apparatus. Yates Mill has been restored, and operates certain days and hours, so this is not a permanent situation, any more than the ice itself.

[EF 70-200 f/4 L IS @ 200mm]

Here is a "duotone" conversion, cold blue shadows and warm pinkish sepia highlights to go with the mix of ice and water. By the way, this is a perfect example of why I like to toss my tiny 40mm "pancake" lens into the bag if I'm traveling light. Its focal length fits in the center of the gap between the "specialty" wide angles (17 and 24mm tilt/shift) and the 70-200 zoom.

[EF 40mm f/2.8 STM]

As I was leaving, I paused to capture the underbelly of the mill.

[EF 40mm f/2.8 STM]

Permalink: http://jilcp.blogspot.com/2014/01/from-other-side-of-pond-more-from-yates.html

www.jilcp.com

4 comments:

  1. These are beautiful, Jess! I love the starkness of the trees and the reflections in the pond on the first one. And I love the motion of the water contrasted with the stillness of the ice in the "pink sepia" one. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete

You may comment anonymously if you wish. Comments are moderated. Spam will be blocked or removed.