Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A winter walk by the water, with a pocket camera

Winter weather is still eluding us in North Carolina. I was out around Carolina Beach Tuesday afternoon, with temps around 70ºF (21ºC for the rest of the world). It gradually cooled a little, and the breeze made a windbreaker a reasonable proposition, but still...winter...well, no cause to complain: it was a beautiful day to be outside. Off I went, carrying a Canon G10, a four year old pocketable digital camera.

The ocean and sky were not strikingly unusual when I arrived, but attractive nonetheless. The colors were not as saturated as presented in this image, but then, this is my reality, I'll see it as I want to!


I had performed an Education Concert earlier in the day, so this was the second time that I had a large audience:



I cut back and forth between the town streets and the weed-covered dunes along the beach.



Jealously guarded parking areas, left vacant in the off season:




This little lake attracted a few varieties of birds. I would rather have photographed them with a DSLR and a long telephoto lens, but some things were possible with my little Canon G10.





I'm disappointed when I see trash abandoned in inappropriate places, but I admit to a certain fascination with photographing it in some circumstances. The ibises didn't seem to mind (though that doesn't mean no harm was done).


Someone left quite a footprint in the mud!


Ah, tranquility!



To "frame" the series of photos above, here are some pre-sunrise shots from the next morning:





Permalink: http://jilcp.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-winter-walk-by-water-with-pocket.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may comment anonymously if you wish. Comments are moderated. Spam will be blocked or removed.