Monday, February 25, 2013

Puffy birds

The ground-feeding birds were puffed up against the cold today, although the temperature was above the freezing point. I'm not great at identifying bird species, so if you find that I've goofed - whether embarrassingly or understandably - please don't hesitate to correct me in the comments.

Because I don't have a blind, and the migrating visitors weren't going to accept me as unthreatening no matter how long I sat outside, I tried some shots through a window. The results weren't as dreadful as I'd expected, though I certainly wouldn't recommend it if there's any way to shoot through nothing but clear air. At any rate, here are some samples.

 I think this is a tan-striped variation of a White-throated Sparrow:


A Dark-eyed Junco, looking as fluffy as a child's stuffed toy:



I'm pretty sure this is a Wood Thrush:


And two more shots of the sparrow:




Permalink: http://jilcp.blogspot.com/2013/02/puffy-birds.html


No comments:

Post a Comment

You may comment anonymously if you wish. Comments are moderated. Spam will be blocked or removed.