Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Shelley Lake sunset

I stopped by Shelley Lake, Raleigh, August 23, hoping to catch some sunset colors on the lake. I knew that the topography (wooded hills to the west) meant that the sun wouldn't be visible at the actual point of sunset. Sometimes, though, intense colors are produced after it dips below the horizon, and sometimes fascinating cloud formations precede the disappearance.


As it turned out, there was rather a nice combination of effects about ten minutes before sunset.


Then, as if on cue, geese flew by.



Right at sunset (by the clock), the sky lit up quite a distance above the horizon.


In the dim afterglow, a goose swam very close by. I had to quickly adjust ISO, shutter speed and aperture to have a shot at capturing its silhouette, rather than a total blur.


All photos shot with 17 or 24mm tilt/shift lenses, manual focus, manual exposure settings.

Permalink: http://jilcp.blogspot.com/2013/08/shelley-lake-sunset.html

2 comments:

  1. Lovely, Jess! Have I mentioned I went through a bit of blog withdrawal while you were in New England. Well worth the wait, of course, but still.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, photography is an addiction for me, so I suppose it may as well be for my followers! :-)

      Delete

You may comment anonymously if you wish. Comments are moderated. Spam will be blocked or removed.