Thursday, August 9, 2012

Butterfly, newly emerged from Chrysalis

Today I felt I was successful at getting some good butterfly photos. It will take some time to pick the most suitable shots and display a few, but there's one that I want to show right away because I think it captures something beyond the beauty of the creature itself. The photo surely speaks for itself, but I'll still set the stage a bit. A number of butterflies had metamorphosed through the chrysalis stage and emerged this afternoon as adults. This is something that happens regularly at the Magic Wings Butterfly House of the Museum of Life and Science in Durham, NC. It was, however, the first time I've been there to see it! A few of them were released from a soft container. One crawled out onto a child's hand, before flying off to explore its new powers and seek its kind. What speaks to me in this image is that while the butterfly is clearly the center of attention, the wonder and excitement of the children witnessing the event is apparent in the gestures of their hands.

I hope the photograph affects you similarly. However you react, if you have a comment to make, I hope you will post it below.


Permalink: http://jilcp.blogspot.com/2012/08/butterfly-newly-emerged-from-chrysalis.html

Jess Isaiah Levin

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may comment anonymously if you wish. Comments are moderated. Spam will be blocked or removed.