Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Obsession

Sometimes I become captivated by a subject, and want to return to it. It's not quite an obsession, but a strong interest in being creative, trying to find a new way to see something. So, I headed for the same little group of flowers that I photographed yesterday. Of course, it would be foolish to avoid being distracted, so along the way I pursued a bee that seemed to be carrying an unusually heavy load of yellow stuff. Isn't it a good thing that they're not allergic to pollen?


Getting to the flowers, I found I could get quite a different effect from what I captured the day before. Different perspective and different light - it felt a little like seeing something new.


Then, I stayed almost as close, but switched to a wide angle lens, the 24 mm tilt/shift lens that I used for this architectural photo. It brought in the whole plant and showed the surroundings, and by tilting the plane of focus I got a nice quality of blur in the ivy and bushes which I think gives a sense of depth.


Crowded! I crowded the blooms in the frame by crowding the plant with my camera. The front of the lens was only a few inches from the nearest petals.


And that may be it for that little "obsession". Or maybe not - I see some buds waiting to bloom!
By the way, have you noticed how bees tend to be attracted to homely flowers past their peak, at least while we are admiring fresh and beautiful specimens? Murphy's Law, nature photography corollary.

Permalink: http://jilcp.blogspot.com/2012/08/obsession.html

Jess Isaiah Levin

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may comment anonymously if you wish. Comments are moderated. Spam will be blocked or removed.